I love sitting around the fire after a big meal, swapping stories with loved ones. Usually, a round of coffee will help to keep us all up instead of going into a food coma. This year, I’ve added a few special ingredients to my go-to Westrock coffee for a festive, flavorful beverage.
Spiced Orange and Maple Coffee
Makes 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon orange extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- Pinch sea salt
- Pinch ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Westrock Dark Roast Coffee
- Whipped cream for topping
- Curled orange peel for garnish
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine maple syrup, orange extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring often, and let simmer 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in the orange juice.
- When ready to serve, brew a fresh pot of Westrock coffee.
- While coffee is brewing, fill 4 mugs with hot water to warm the mugs.
- When coffee is ready, pour out the hot water, and fill mugs with 5 ounces coffee and up to 1 tablespoon of the spiced syrup.
- Top with whipped cream, then drizzle spiced syrup over the top.
- Garnish with an orange twist.
For an Adults-Only Version
- Add 1 ounce each of Cointreau and Frangelico to each cup of coffee in place of the syrup. Stir to combine. Drizzle the syrup over the whipped cream before serving.
By P. Allen Smith
About the Author: P. Allen Smith is one of America’s most recognized garden and design experts. His Moss Mountain Farm serves as a place of inspiration, education, and conservation. Book tours at pallensmith.com/tours. Find a selection of Allen’s recipes for drinks (and more) at PAllenSmith.com.