Laurie Miller, owner of The Velvet Boxwood, has her hand in many creative fields—interiors, entertaining, and florals—and her talents shine in a whimsical spring party for her children and their friends. “The concept of the party was duck, duck, goose, a game I played as a child and play today with my boys,” Laurie says. “I knew the gardens at Moss Mountain were the most breathtaking, and I felt it was the perfect place to throw a feathered and webbed social, especially since there are a lot of geese and ducks on the farm.”
Hand-painted invitations with charming motifs announced the day and theme. And, when the petite guests arrived, they were greeted with fresh mint sweet tea to begin their garden adventure, which included a sit-down lunch in the rose garden. Hand-painted duckling cookies, adorned with each child’s name, served as edible place cards. Drawing on the farm setting, Laurie set a table overflowing with blooms and a bounty of fresh veggies.
Lunch was followed by a vigorous round of duck, duck, goose, and then it was time for a treat—lemon cake with blueberry filling and ice cream sandwiches made using tiny blueberry pies.
After the yummy repast, guests were ushered off to a potting table where each child planted their own rosemary, mint, or thyme and decorated it with a toy duckling. “That was our way of thanking our guests and sending them home with something to remember the day by,” says Laurie. “It truly was a scrumptious, waddling good time for all!”
Scenes from the Party
Click the arrows (or swipe if on a mobile device) to see more
- Event and floral design and tabletop styling by Laurie Miller, The Velvet Boxwood, thevelvetboxwood.com
- Custom cakes by Michelle Mayer, michellelindamayer.com
- China from Tipton & Hurst, tiptonhurst.com
- Cookies by Molly Young of Crumb & Canvas, crumbandcanvas.com
- Invitations by Jessie Russell Fuchs, jessierussellfuchs.com
- Chairs from Park Hill Home, 501.358.3537
- Antique silver rentals from Bitsy Davis and the Ashley-Alexander House, 501.231.6796
- Linens and cake stands rentals from A Perfect Bloom Florist & Wedding Rentals, perfectweddingrentals.com
Photography by Erin Wilson