Hot Chocolate with Chilli
Use the best quality cocoa powder you can find. The heat of the chile takes this chocolate drink to another dimension!
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2½ cups whole milk, or 1¼ cups milk mixed with 1¼ cups light cream
- 1 teaspoon chopped dried chile or ½ teaspoon chopped fresh red chile
- Sugar, to taste (optional)
1. Put the cocoa powder in a heatproof bowl, add about 1 tablespoon of the milk and mix to a smooth paste with a wooden spoon.
2. Put the remaining milk or milk and cream mixture in a saucepan, add the chile and bring to a boil. Carefully strain the boiling milk onto the cocoa paste through a fine-mesh strainer, then whisk vigorously.
3. Pour into two cups. Let cool for about 1 minute, then taste—you may need to add sugar. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Louise Pickford | Photography by Steve Painter
Try even more soul-warming sippers from Hot Drinks (Ryland Peters & Small, 2017)