Yield: 10 to 12 servings
- Butter for the baking dish
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 ¾ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 pounds baking potatoes, scrubbed, peeled, and sliced paper thin, lengthwise (a mandoline is most helpful)
- 1 pound grated Gruyère cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the cream, salt, pepper, garlic, and nutmeg.
- Assemble one layer of potatoes on the bottom of the buttered baking dish.
- Gently spoon 1/8 cup of the cream mixture over the layer of potatoes. Top with some grated Gruyère.
- Repeat this process until the dish is full and the potatoes and cream mixture are exhausted. Top with remaining Gruyère and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake it for 1 hour. Remove the foil and continue to bake for another 15 to 20 minutes, until the top is crusty and brown, and serve.
Recipes from My Beverly Hills Kitchen by Alex Hitz (Knopf, 2012). To purchase, visit amazon.com