For a top-notch stay in the city of Lucerne with views of the lake, choose one of these grand, historic hotels:
- Hotel Schweizerhof—this ideal location has been family-owned for 175 years!
- Hotel National Lucerne—a 5-star hotel with well-appointed rooms and history stretching back to 1870.
- Hotel Montana Lucerne—early Art Deco architectural details meet modern-day excellence.
Beyond the city, other luxury accommodations that have stood the test of time in the region include:
- Bürgenstock Resort—a legend since 1873, this resort perches on a forested ridge overlooking Lake Lucerne.
- Villa Honegg—also on the mountain of Bürgenstock, this boutique hotel has been welcoming guests since 1906.
- Park Hotel Vitznau—at the base of Mount Rigi, this opulent lakeside retreat opened in 1903. It is also home to Atelier, a much-celebrated fine dining spot.
Staying Power: Hotel Amparo
Swiss Exploration: The Lake Lucerne Region
Classic Beach Retreats of the Northeast
Chic Outposts: White Elephant & The Quirk Hotel
Pink of Perfection: Camellias Bar in Charleston
The Allure of Loire Valley
Santa Barbara with Suzanne Tucker
Asheville with Libby Endry
The Style That Binds Us: New York Little Black Book
Richmond with Amanda Nisbet
A Floral Tour of The Post Oak Hotel
Delight in Derbyshire (Plus, Where to Stay)