To make Oysters Elvaretta at Elvie’s, Chef Hunter Evans tops oysters with this artichoke mix before charbroiling them. At home, this can be served as a warm dip or as a stuffing for fish like flounder or salmon. For more from Chef Evans, see Flower’s story, “Travel By Tastebuds: Elvie’s in Jackson.”
Creamy Artichoke, Bacon, and Parmesan Dip
- 1 cup roughly chopped bacon
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly chopped
- 6 cloves fresh garlic, smashed and minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 5 lb. can artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
- ¾ quart heavy cream
- 4 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 7 ½ dashes of hot sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ lb. cream cheese
- Cook bacon in a skillet. When crispy, add butter, onions, and garlic to the bacon and drippings in pan; sauté 2-3 minutes. Add white wine and reduce until evaporated.
- Add artichokes, and cook 2-3 more minutes.
- Add cream and reduce until thickened. Add Parmesan, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Stir, adding salt, pepper, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Stir in cream cheese. Warm through; remove from heat.
Note: To take off the heat, add lemon juice.