This is such a feel-good breakfast, you can literally taste the goodness! It’s super easy. The only thing to note is that you have to make it the night before so that the oats really soak up the liquid and become soft. There are no rules to this recipe; you can add as many fruits, nuts, or seeds as you please—mix and match. Below is one of my favorite combos. — Kathryn M. Ireland
California Bircher Muesli
- 1 cup (200 g) rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup (170 g) organic natural live yogurt
- 1 Gala apple, grated with skin on
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1 dessert spoon maple syrup, honey, or agave
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon chopped raw pistachio nuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 handful of raspberries
- 1 handful of blueberries
- Chia seeds and flax seeds (optional)
1. In a mixing bowl, add the oats, three-fourths of the yogurt, half the grated apple, a tablespoon of water, a pinch of the cinnamon, and the syrup; mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. In the morning, toast the coconut, nuts, and pumpkin seeds in a frying pan for a couple of minutes with the rest of the cinnamon, until golden. Take the oat mixture out of the fridge and mix in three-fourths of the nut mixture and the rest of the grated apple.
3. Serve in a glasses or bowls of your choice by layering the berries at the bottom. Spoon in the oat mixture, then a layer of yogurt, another spoon of oat mixture, and finish off with the rest of the berries and a sprinkling of the nut mixture and, if desired, chia and flax seeds.
Recipe excerpted from Kathryn at Home: A Guide to Simple Entertaining by Kathryn M. Ireland (Gibbs Smith, 2016)