Yields one 6 to 8 pound tenderloin, 10 to 12 servings
- 1 (6- to 8-pound) beef tenderloin, trimmed of its silver skin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) salted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Rub both sides of the tenderloin generously with the salt, pepper, and thyme.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, garlic, and shallots, and mash them with a fork. Rub the composed butter, generously, on top of the tenderloin, and then put it on a metal baking pan. Place the baking pan on the middle rack of the preheated oven and broil the tenderloin, butter side up, for exactly 5 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 400°F.
- Roast the tenderloin for 17 minutes more.
- Turn the oven again to broil, and broil the tenderloin for an additional 2 minutes. Remove it from the oven.
- Let the beef rest for at least 12 to 15 minutes before slicing. Serve it warm or cold.
- ½ cup prepared horseradish, drained well
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir all the ingredients until they are well combined. Cover the bowl, and refrigerate it overnight. Serve with the tenderloin.