Porch and Terrace
Off the kitchen, a classic covered porch serves as an extension of the home’s entertaining space and offers vistas of the surrounding water. “One of the best things about living in the South is that the weather allows for outdoor living most of the year,” says Phoebe. The designers grounded the space with a large rug that makes the porch feel more like an interior room. Then they added plenty of seating, including two poufs that can be moved around as needs arise.
“Outdoor pieces don’t have to be a matching set,” Nellie says. “The sofa and chairs we chose don’t match, but the colors and fabrics we selected tie them together. It’s all about the mix.” Just off the porch, a grassy terrace creates the perfect setting for alfresco dining. A teak dining table surrounded by woven-back chairs sets the scene for a light, midday brunch or dinner under the stars.
For a full room tour, watch the video above led by Phoebe Howard and Nellie Howard Ossi, interior designers of the 2022 Flower Showhouse.
- Chesapeake rectangular dining table and armchairs from Universal Furniture
- Olive topiaries, Piper woven charges and napkin rings, Crochet Edge napkins, and silver wire cachepot all from Ballard Designs
- Jars dinnerware, Denby glassware, and Yamazaki silverware all from Replacements, Ltd.
- Chesapeake sofa, Miramar and Newport chairs, and Galen cocktail table all from Universal Furniture
- Poufs through Mrs. Howard
- Kanor console table from Currey & Company
- Governor and Cupola Pool House lanterns from Bevolo Gas & Electric Lights
- Dash & Albert Venus hand knotted wool/viscose rug from Annie Selke
- Teak sculptures through Mrs. Howard
- Trudy glass vase on stand from Ballard Designs
Designed and styled by Phoebe Howard and Nellie Howard Ossi of Mrs. Howard | Text by Julie Gillis | Photography by Adam Kuehl | Video by Relative Media & Marketing | Floral Design by August Floral & Event Design
This story appears in Flower magazine’s March/April 2022 issue on newsstands March 1st. Subscribe or find a copy in a store near you.