Self-described party-thrower and party-goer Martie Duncan loves collecting stories and recipes everywhere she travels. She says that when it comes to her fellow southerners, almost everyone has a recipe (most a very closely-guarded secret) for the “world’s best” Bloody Mary (not to mention ribs, potato salad, and gumbo). After years of research, mixing, taste-testing, and sharing variations on the Bloody Mary with friends and hundreds of thirsty people at events, she says this really is the best.
Martie’s Classic Bloody Mary Recipe (Serves 6-8)
For the Bloody Mary Mix:
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1¼ tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt (plus more for rimming the glasses)
- ⅓ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Combine everything but the vodka in a blender and blend everything together until smooth.
- Transfer to a glass pitcher and chill.
- To serve, rim a glass (instructions below) and add one ounce good quality vodka (I often use Absolut Peppar for a spicy kick). Fill the glass with ice. Pour Bloody Mary mix over ice, leaving just enough room for garnishes. Let guests garnish at will.
For the Rim Mix:
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lemon or lime wedge
Combine celery salt, Kosher salt, and black pepper and spread onto a saucer. Use a lemon or lime wedge to mositen the rim of each glass. Dip the rim into the mix.
Martie’s Favorite Bloody Mary Garnishes and Mix-Ins
Limes, cut into wedges | Lemons, cut into wedges | Celery stalks with leafy green tops | Pickled green beans | Pickled okra | Green onion stalks | Tabasco sauce | Horseradish
Recipe and Photography by Martie Duncan