For a full tour of the outdoor living spaces at Brierfield Farm, watch the video above led by Mary Evelyn McKee, interior designer of the 2021 Flower showhouse.
A classic lantern on a rustic post marks a stepping stone path that leads to the farmhouse entrance. The post is based on a sketch of a traditional New Orleans design provided by Drew Bevolo, the third-generation owner of Bevolo Gas & Electric Lights, which has been based in the city for more than 75 years. Builder Larry Gemmill fabricated the wooden post, which holds one of Bevolo’s handcrafted lanterns.
- Moon Walk light post lantern (with French Quarter lantern on yoke hanger) by Bevolo Gas & Electric Lights
Brick floors add a textural element to the front porch, which features Adirondack chairs for taking in the views.
- Echo woven end table and Ashland teak Adirondack chairs and ottoman by Summer Classics Home
- Vintage suzani pillows by B. Viz Design
- Copper Cotton Exchange lanterns by Bevolo Gas & Electric Lights
Off the back of the house, the Hayfield Terrace, with bluestone tiles and brick detailing, is enclosed by a low fieldstone wall showing off planters full of seasonal flowers and grasses. One side of the terrace offers alfresco dining, with a teak table and chairs that are brightened with pillows, textiles, and copper lanterns. The other side offers more seating options with armchairs, a sofa, and a barrel chair.
- Newport sofa, lounge chairs, and barrel chair by Summer Classics Home
- Cahaba coffee table by Summer Classics Home
- Croquet teak end table by Summer Classics Home
- Copper French Quarter lantern on yoke hanger and Rault pool house lanterns by Bevolo Gas & Electric Lights
- Planters by Pennoyer Newman
- Container plantings by Jay Draper of Shoppe
- Coast teak dining extension table, side chairs, and armchairs by Summer Classics Home
- Vintage suzani textile (used as a tablecloth) and pillows by B. Viz Design
- Juliska Forest Walk dinner plates, Certified International olive-green wineglasses, Horchow Tortoise balloon goblets, all through Replacements, Ltd.
- Picot dinner napkins and cocktail napkins by Leontine Linens
- Cupola pool house lanterns by Bevolo Gas & Electric Lights
Beyond the Hayfield Terrace, the farm stretches out as far as the eye can see. One focal point in the landscape is an outdoor cooking spot nestled in a copse of hardwoods and pines. More than a mere grill, the fire bowl design serves multiple purposes: The removable flat outer rim is ideal for cooking everything from eggs and bacon to delicate fish and vegetables. For classic grill marks, there’s the center grate insert. Remove the grate, and it transforms into a fire pit just right for s’mores.
- Fire pit, Classic Grill 40″ Low Round Base by Arteflame
- Skye Woven Euro lounge chairs chairs by Summer Classics Home
- Vintage hand-woven African Kuba cloth pillows by B. Viz Design
Produced and Styled by Amanda Smith Fowler | Text by Alice Welsh Doyle | Photography by David Hillegas | Floral Design by Suzanne Graves of Wildflower Designs
This story appears in Flower magazine’s September/October 2021 issue on newsstands August 31. Subscribe or find a copy in a store near you.