Garden and outdoor living designer, Carmen Johnston of Carmen Johnston Gardens shares tips for creating an easy, lushly-layered, outdoor dining table.
- Start with a good table. Carmen selected Ballard Designs’ Suzanne Kasler Directoire Rectangular Dining Table as the foundation for this setting.
- Build dimension with layers. Don’t let the table look flat. Here, Carmen starts with a botanical print placemat. Next she layers a woven charger, stacks beautiful Bamboo Melamine Plates, and sets each place with tortoise-shell bamboo flatware. She also adds a floral touch to each napkin, tucking lenten roses from the garden into acrylic napkin rings.
- Don’t forget to layer from the ground up! Carmen placed a Ballard Designs Cable Knit Performance Rug under the the table.
- Create long-lasting centerpieces. Instead of using fresh flowers, consider lush greenery such as the mix of ferns and plectranthus Carmen arranged in Canopy Self Watering Planters. The centerpiece is accented with cut citrus. Add lighting to the table for a cozy atmosphere. For this setting, a pair of Evie Rechargeable Table Lamps creates a warm ambiance at the table.
- Remember the party favors! Carmen likes to send guests home with a “happy” also known as a “surcee” such as Bunny Williams Bee Hive Honey Pot.